Saturday, February 4, 2012

Divino Ritmo Showcase Dance


As described in a previous blog, I danced to Oh, What a Beautiful Morning from the musical Oklahoma on December 3rd at the Sheraton Waikiki Hotel. This was the first in a lineup of twenty odd student performances that evening.  Well, I’m finally posting some of the stills.  I must admit I like the theatrical component of any solo performance maybe as much or more than demonstrating how much I’ve assimilated the necessary dance skills and choreography (or more likely how much I need to learn to make it look like I’m really dancing rather than fooling around on the dance floor). 

Thankfully, my dance instructor, Yanna Samkova, helped me get through the performance. She had the much more difficult task of dancing with me, her amateur student, pretending to showcase my dance skills and my lead, while really carrying me through the performance like a puppet on invisible strings.  Overall an enjoyable evening, the performance, while not pristine, was not characterized by any flagrant blunders or any midstream brain farts - that surface spontaneously without notice at the most inopportune times.  Thank God for the positive brain stabilizing antioxidant effects of my morning ration of dark berries.  Hummmm, more likely, the lack of any major slip-ups was a result of practicing my performance a gazillion times.  Even a decapitated creature could reliably perform the choreography if they had practiced it as much, armed with the muscle memory to regurgitate the sequence of movements dispassionately without shedding a single molecule of ATP from the cerebral cortex.  









1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete