Sunday, March 11, 2012

Senile Hyperballroominemia associated Brain Farts


Senile Hyperballroominemia is a progressively fatal disorder occurring commonly in the sixth decade of life, characterized by intermittent brain farts during ballroom dance competition routines.   Brain farts occur when obstacles such as competing dancers are unexpectedly encountered and a collision is imminent, when the routine has to fit into a smaller than practiced dance floor space and the involved CNS axonal circuitry is overwhelmed by the call for for an instantaneous correction with redeployment of movement and direction, or for no other reason than the electrical circuitry shuts off like it does ever so frequently at home (including this morning in Manoa – March 11th).


I will not discuss the long-term treatment, prognosis or life expectancy of this serious disorder.   Please refer to an article published in the Journal of Extended Adolescent Senility in 2011 By Drs. Dementia and Blank and for a comprehensive review of the latest therapy, etc.  Of course, since this is a fatal disorder, most of  therapy is directed at palliation.

Rather than definitive treatment, ballroom teachers have developed critical skills that can correct, to a limited extent, these unexpected CNS power outages (AKA as brain farts), as well as the missteps and unexpected hiccups that occur during pro-am ballroom dance competitions. A number of methods utilizing various algorithms have been attempted in the past; most have been partially, but none have been totally successful remedies.  

It wasn’t until last week, when dancing my routines at the Heritage Classic with my dance teacher, Yanna Samkova, that I experienced a few of these uninvited embarrassing moments.  Nevertheless, I was able to register and follow the progression of the maneuvers that were utilized by Yanna to mitigate the damage to my dance performance.    Not that I remember everything but anything I can't remember I will make up.  I do remember enough to provide some insight into what was done.

Sadly, I do NOT remember the dance….foxtrot, tango, waltz.... only that I was headed toward the corner of the dance floor in a crowded heat - with the dance floor split in half to accommodate two groups of competitors being judged separately.   Suddenly, while avoiding other competitors, my puzzled brain failed as I closed in on the corner of the floor not computing how to adjust my routine to navigate the 90 degree turn safely to the short side of the dance floor.  This resulted in a total, albeit temporary, meltdown…..I truly lost tract of my routine sequence and was left paralyzed.

My dance teacher instantly recognized this moment in my body language and frame; indeed, it was not subtle.  To be sure, if she had been dancing with an air inflated man doll that suddenly punctured and deflated, it would describe the sensation aptly.  Like the electric generator that kicks in when power outages occur, she took over our collective movements instantly and precisely.  Now, the truth is that professional dancers need to be prepared for moments like these…she cannot be slumming it on the dance floor and expect to be prepared to take over at a moments notice.  Its like being on perimeter watch on a military battlefield….you can never drop your guard for even a moment or else it will cost you your life.

So as my brain failed, hers instantly engaged without notice or momentary delay, the transition was seamless, and not even the most astute observer could detect this from either of us.   Like a GPS, she had to survey the path, determine in what direction we were headed, recalculate a new path and transmit this information somehow to the paralyzed carcass she was carrying in her arms.  But unlike a GPS, she couldn’t announce - turn right, turn right, or recalculating, or in 0.2 miles, turn left or anything of the sort.  Her job was much more difficult not only for having to transmit the recalculated path but somehow to do so without any vocal cues.  In this recalculation, she needed to factor in the movement of other dance couple in close proximity, their paths of movement, the velocity of their movement, and whether the couple was being led by an experienced dance instructor who would be expected to avoid collision through skilled navigation skills or another klutzy amateur whose movement could not be predicted or trusted. 

Ok, that was the easy part.   All of the above visual global positioning data analysis sets the stage for the most difficult of tasks.  The information gets factored into solving this immediate dance riddle: what movements are needed to get us back on tract.  Specifically, my dance teacher has to figure on the next series of steps and how to get me back into the routine.  In short, she has to somehow jolt the electrical power lever in my brain back on.  It may not be the next steps in the sequence of the dance routine; a complex process of analysis at gigahertz speed determines the safest path out of this conundrum.  All of this of course requires an active feedback loop of information to constantly assess and reassess the situation.  At any moment, the failing computer in my brain could dangerously turn back on, having lost all of data from before the shutdown, with unpredictable results.  Its like being waked up suddenly from a deep sleep…where am I?  My dance instructor has to be prepared for me cooperating as well as fighting her intended direction when finally the brain suddenly reanimates and blinks out its life sustaining messages.

As the data continues to roll in and be processed, a decision point was made for action.  Kinetic energy was needed to nudge, and thrust and push and trap and twist me just enough - based on the resistance forces expressed in my body movement and a myriad of other factors.  This combination of forces is likened to the balanced forced movements in sumo wrestling.  My dance teacher is certainly stronger than me and can make me move involuntarily at her will.  So whatever combination of forced movements that were instantly imposed on me into a new position, they somehow shifted me on the correct foot and body position to continue the next logical step in the dance routine.  Instantly my brain was back on and somehow this time it was working synchronously to successfully disguise the brain farted partner lapse, as she masterminded this illusion in performance to perfection….all occurring in a matter of 3 seconds.

Stay off the cocaine, my son announced in response to a previous outrageous blog called “Hot and Cool”.   What will he say about this writing?  


No comments:

Post a Comment