Friday, May 4, 2012

The Ultimate Surfboard

Well I was minding my own business two Sunday's ago lounging in bed thinking about my upcoming trip to Boston for the Pediatric Academic Society meeting - as well as to visit my sisters in New York.  My mind was clogged with junk mail.  Did I pack the right clothes? Oh, I need to check the weather once more.  Stop worrying about the trip and go practice your dance performance for when you return.  

The doorbell rang and I thought is was the usual nicely dressed believers trying to convince me that the world would end unless I accepted their interpretation of Christianity.  Surprised to see a handsome couple, a tall slim haole girl - Rachel, pretty and fit, and a suitably  good looking tanned local looking surfer  boyfriend - Ikaika.  It turns out that Rachel and Ikaika were not there to sell me on Jesus but to deliver this massive surfboard. Hummmmm!!!  OK, it wasn't for me and they were not trying to sell me anything but only to deliver it on my son David's behalf.  

He had commissioned its construction of beautifully crafted Koa Wood at least a year or more from someone on the North Shore of Oahu.  It took that long to complete, or maybe the craftsman was working on several competing projects that took precedence.  It seems like this very expensive, heavy and bulky mass of hardwood was envisioned to be secured on the long stretch from his fireplace to the ceiling at his two story house in Encinitas.  This very beautiful ornament complements the other designer details of his already eclectic house adorned by a mixture of motifs.  Perhaps he will share his vision for his house after he reads this account and maybe even share the evolution of his most prised room creation, the "man cave".

I am happy to "showcase" this work of art although I could hardly find a place in my house for this massive chunk of wood to rest.  We tried everywhere.  My ceilings are tall, but not 12 feet.  The only place that I could fit this giant was the stairway path from 1st to 2nd floor as you see in the picture. My son is lucky because if I had found a place in my living room or family room, I might grow too attached to give it up when he figured out how to eventually get it to California without breaking the bank.

As I write this, I am sitting in New York at my sisters house on this cloudy day which started with deafening bombs of thunder that I had not experienced since childhood.  Not looking forward to my flight back home tomorrow leaving at 6AM.  I will not get much sleep and will be grumpy all day.  In a daze, I will be amused only by reading "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks", lent to me a few weeks ago by my friend Sandy. Sleep and fatigue will interrupt my concentration, but I hope that some intervals of lucidity will allow for some progress so I can  return the book to its owner.  I have others waiting for me at home, and about 3-4 more blogs that need to be delivered, including an account of my experience in Boston and the Pediatric Society Meeting.  I must say that despite Boston's appeal and charm, I have grown tired and weary of the grouchy and prickly behavior  on the East Coast. I much prefer visiting out west, and so very lucky to be living in Hawaii, even with its drawbacks.  Still I was very happy to visit with my sisters and have dinner with my high school friend Barry and his family.  More later.  

No comments:

Post a Comment