Sunday, January 20, 2013

Deer Valley or Death Valley 2013? – I Owned My Ski Accident


The Death Trap was looming!  It was the perfect invitation for a serious ski injury.  The end of the third and final day of skiing was inviting and perfect.   The day beamed bright sunny skies, clear visibility, little to no wind, finely groomed long runs, and few skiers on the slopes to contend with. 

Deer Valley was beautiful!  The heavens dumped almost 12 inches of new snow the week prior to our arrival, transforming Deer Valley into a freshly carpeted panorama of pure white.  The trees strewn on the perimeter of the ski runs bared evidence of the fresh deposits of snow, weighing down their branches with a velvety thick white cover.  The snow contrasted sharply with the dark branch undersides, leading to their imposing tree trunk origins, coursing through the snow blanket, rooted firmly into the ground.

Still, there was reason to be cautious.  Even with the newly painted terrain, the loose surface snow was surprisingly thin and would be skied off by mid afternoon.  This left a hardened cover of snow that resembled a concrete corridor painted white, solid, impenetrable, and unforgiving.  With little snow for the ski to grip, there was little left to buffer the gravitational forces pulling you faster down the slope.  Thus, the skill set necessary to negotiate any intermediate run increased substantially.  Not quite as imposing as skidding over a swath of pure ice during descent, the conditions were nevertheless deceptively challenging.
  
It was REALLY cold adding to the danger.  Indeed, the paralyzing bitter cold temperatures insured that the snow would remain frozen hard.  The frozen floor resisted the neutralizing laser-like-effects of the warm afternoon sun, which patiently melts exposed surface snow into soft cotton, or if abused by too many skiers, into murky slush.  During our time at Deer Valley, there was no visible moist snow or slush anywhere to allow one’s skis to grab hold and temper the pace of forward movement.    

It’s no fun to ski with your face frozen and your fingers and toes numb.  Indeed, while our minds were focused on how much snow needed to fall for Deer Valley to provide us optimal conditions for skiing, we failed to consider the stifling consequence of single digit temperatures, with some that dropped below zero.  The human body’s ability to withstand the perilously mounting effects of freezing temperatures over time is limited.  On the first day, it instantly turned my beard and mustache into a frozen block of ice, while insidiously attacking my fingers and toes, shocking them into painfully frozen pulps before robbing them of feeling.  

But WE were still happy to SKI!  Notwithstanding the bitter cold, the neutralizing effect of the sun - which burned my face despite a hefty lathering of sunscreen, and the lack of any real wind chill factor played a large part in making our three days of skiing much more than tolerable.  How funny changing set points can be.  In the past, temperatures in the 20’s gave us pause when considering whether to ski on that day.  At least in this instance, we were relieved when the Fahrenheit thermometer crept into the mid teens – it almost felt like summer!!

Do what I say, not as I do.  Everyone with a pea brain knows that you need to be extra careful skiing at the end of the day! Legs are tired and filled with lactic acid.  Eyes are blurred with an overdose of blinding white.  And there is the fogging of reality inspired by the mounting mental fatigue of monotonous unremitting surveillance of oncoming traffic.  Everyone and everything in your path must be considered to determine avoidance patterns to save off collisions. 

My mind was nowhere to be found! But for me, that last afternoon, rather than being extra careful, I found myself skiing in body with my mind nowhere to be found.  Indeed, I was skiing as if someone else was navigating me. I was on cruise control. I was barely cognizant of my surrounding while carelessly gliding down the mountain, as though I was under the influence of some potent elixir. I was skiing as if I was watching a movie of someone else skiing, half dozing into oblivion while waiting for something exciting to happen to catch my attention.

Something exciting did happen! What should have been a routine run down a moderately slopped blue turned into near disaster! Expecting the steepest part of the run to be on top of the mountain, as my experience skiing in Deer Valley dictated, the semi cautious navigation up top yielded to more casual skiing below.  I wanted to test my ability to shift my hips to and fro to more fluidly navigate the run with precision and speed.  As I past my friend Gary, I mentally fast forwarded to the end of the run, which would have me positioned at the lift waiting for a few moments for Gary to catch up, and then to catch the next ride up the mountain to repeat the process on yet another run.  With my mind having already completed the run, I was left blind-sighted as the slope of the terrain unexpectedly increased with my speed continuing to increase as well.   Unprepared, I was abruptly brought out of my mega-stupor to find myself out of control skiing down the run.  I was on thinly covered hard packed snow that was unwilling to allow me to regain or readjust the speed of descent.  A momentary lapse of uncertain navigation was enough to put me off balance, my forward momentum was too committed to suppress by my feeble attempts at cutting the snow, and I was instantaneously upended. 

I hit the snow with the force of a bowling ball thrown down the bowling alley. My helmet hit the ground with a loud thump, my left ski disengaged, my ski poles flew wildly through the air, and an explosion of snow shattered the sky above.  In the end, my body shot forward at least 20 yards, rolling and contorting down the hill still connected to my right ski, totally and completely out of control for what seemed to be an eternity.

What was real was that I was so out of control that I didn't even consider initiating any resistance to slow the tide after the fall.  Or perhaps I had no opportunity to do so, since I was moving so quickly.  I instinctively understood that only time and the dissipation of kinetic energy would end my uncontrolled fall down the hill.  Indeed, it was in many ways a surreal experience. I submitted totally to the forward momentum of the fall, retracting slightly to remain compact while relaxing as my body was contorting and twisting on the bumpy rigid terrain.  I was blindly and peacefully accepting my fate with little fear or remorse, naively expecting for it to end finding myself in one piece.  When it ended, I remember thinking, gosh, that was kind of fun!  I had no idea how far I had been thrown down the hill, how my body turned and twisted, how many joints were stretched to their limit, and how many body parts were greeted rudely by the hardened show covered mountain. And when it ended, I heard Gary’s words of concern and countered with a jubilant thumbs up.  He was horrified by what he had seen and was sure my mangled looking body on final impact reflected some major serious injury. Miraculously, nothing was broken, nothing was twisted, nothing hurt, but that is not the end of the story! 

Gary was indeed amazed that I was still in one piece, alive, unbroken and smiling after the incident.  Checking my body parts one final time, and finding no reason for concern, I hobbled through the last few runs of the day a lot more tentative as the reality of fall sunk into to my brain through my thick skull and life-saving helmet.  We called it a day with a few minutes to spare before the resort closed its doors, thanking our lucky stars that we were both walking on two feet, conscious and alert, and that we had ended our ski vacation healthy and happy.

NO trees, no skiers to collide into.  Of course, I was very lucky that there were no trees in the path of my decent to collide into and crush my bones, bruise or batter my body or hammer my helmet and head.  And fortunately, there was no unlucky skier ahead to add to the number of victims.  I never would forgive myself for causing harm to another human, at least unintentionally, from my reckless error in judgment.  

My helmet was not so lucky.  As we sitting on the lift chair on our way to the next to the last ski run, Gary noticed that my helmet was scratched and bruised in several locations.  On one spot corresponding to my left frontal lobe, there was a visible dent almost a centimeter in depth, as if a large bore nail had been driven part way into the helmet.  On further inspection, there were numerous major dents and bruises, too numerous to count!  The more I looked, the more mangled the helmet looked.  It was indeed the victim of the fall.  I could only imagine if my head was used as the battering ram during my fall instead of the helmet.   

Thank you dear Helmet!  In retrospect, my head and helmet must have landed on several sharp pointed object or objects, perhaps a shard of ice or a spike of rock that produced the damage, clearly saving me from at least a serious concussion, maybe permanent brain injury, or maybe even death.  It also saved me from being involuntarily added to the head injury annual statistics report registry; 16,000 were reported in 1998 – have no more recent stats at the moment to offer.   

Are there lessons to be learned?  Indeed, the incident speaks for itself.  The stage was set, the conditions perfect, and the human in question – ME - took the bait, hook, line and sinker.  This was no true accident; it was my destiny!  A little fatigue, a little oblivion, a little recklessness, all mixed with a yearning for excitement.  One moment in time could have sealed my fate for the rest of my life.  This is not the first time I have come close to serious injury and death.  Did I learn from this incident to the benefit of my future?  There are others whose story ends badly, heeding not the warnings of the first pass from a dangerous encounter; they return another day to find their fate sealed by their delusion of infallibility.

To tell another story.  For now, I am writing this blog on my way home to Hawaii.  I want to remember to kiss the helmet that saved me from myself, perhaps for another day to do something foolish and risky but for now, I am just happy to have all of my body parts working, and my head no more deranged than it was before the fall, still immersed in adolescent fantasy, ready to face another day to hopefully tell another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment