Friday, October 18, 2013

Oktoberfest 2013: Outrigger Reef on the Beach

The usual assortment of polka dancers, some dressed in traditional German clothes

A nice attempt to party up the smallish room
Was like coming home.....from Fargo, somewhere in Minnesota,
the Ala Moana Hotel or all of the above? 
Traditional dishes such as bratwurst will be served as Outrigger Reef on the Beach hosts its first Oktoberfest. --Courtesy Outrigger Reef on the Beach
Some people DIE over this food!
These are pictures from last night's Oktoberfest event at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach Hotel.  This was a first ever event. Unfortunately, I have little time to write a responsible review. 

But its a good sign that I'm going again on Saturday with dance friends..the last day of the event.  All in all, this was a reasonable attempt to inject a dose of Octoberfest into Waikiki. Already a favorite location for me.....as a frequenter of the Kani Ka Pila Grille to listen to Hawaiian music, I had already previewed the Diamond Head terrace that the event was held at.  The room by any standard was small, which in the end made is cozy and kinda fun...it felt like an indoor picnic.  With open doors exposing the outside heat and humidity for those frequenting the make shift bar, to purchase and collect the fattening assortment of food and desserts, and for purposes of personal hygiene, etc, you were sweating after only a few polkas or Viennese waltzes......which made you even more thirsty for that next beer.  I even did one chicken dance which I usually sit out to avoid the masses of believers.

Overall, I will give this event a B, but I'll add a little extra for effort....giving it a B+.  I already injected (or maybe inflicted is a better word) my lengthy opinion to the conference organizer who was manning the front desk - whose role was to sift through those waiting in line to pay their entrance fee and to purchase these ridiculous red coupons that were used to exchange for food and drink.  I hardly had room for my comb after stuffing hundreds of these red left over from the Punahou Carnival coupons into my pockets.  Or maybe they came from the remains of the Varsity theater. 

Of course I felt it necessary to embarrass the organizer and her helper by forcing them dance the polka with me, which ignited both of them into an uncontrollable laughing spasm.....(no I didn't dance with them both at the same time).  Gosh, I didn't think I was that bad.....oh, well, Yanna.....please teach me how to polka.  So I guess, as usual in the end, others got the last laugh and my chutzpah was rewarded in kind.  When will I ever learn?

Now, I love Octoberfest and have been going for years in Hawaii . I have enjoyed the one held at the Ala Moana Hotel which no longer exists (the band last night was the same as at Ala Moana). I have also faithfully attended the event  at the Hale Koa Hotel which is pretty good and probably a step above the one at the Outrigger. Here are my scores....

The venue....small, but cozy....................B
Music....folksy....but not bad...................B
Food.....decent, but a little limited...........B
Dance floor- plastic, sticky & small........C-
Staff & organizer...lots of effort..............A
Overall effect..........................................B+

I think the sum of its parts is greater than adding the individual units.  The truth is that many, many folks were turned away from the Outrigger for a lack of space.  Those that went there enjoyed themselves immensely.  Oktoberfest is really a popular event in Hawaii and the Outrigger East could have cashed in more on this popularity had they asked me first for my opinion.   Ha, ha.....

See you Saturday......hopefully those reading my blog will not be too incensed.  If I fail to post any more blogs in the future, you will know why...... 

No comments:

Post a Comment