Saturday, February 8, 2014

EYE TO EYE CONTACT

Its appears that it is more important to her to text her friend
than insure her safety across the crosswalk


It is a travesty that we continue to witness PREVENTABLE pedestrian deaths at crosswalks in Honolulu. This is a serious problem that won’t go away.  As someone who regularly walks and drives in the downtown area, I have studied the situation from both sides - the distracted drivers not paying attention to the oblivious pedestrians trusting that the crosswalk lines will somehow magically confer to them a barrier of protection.  Yesterday, while driving, I encountered a young woman in her twenties navigating her way across one such crosswalk. With one foot working its way from the curb to the street, she immediately made EYE TO EYE CONTACT with me, looking carefully at my response in slowing down to a stop for her to safely complete her crossing. Only then did she continue her journey across the street, keeping her eyes fixated on mine with a serious look as if she were controlling my actions remotely.  If only EVERY pedestrian would act in this fashion, at least in my view, pedestrian deaths would be reduced significantly.

I JUST SENT THE ABOVE PARAGRAPH AS A LETTER TO THE EDITOR TO THE STAR ADVERTISER TODAY.  ITS OVER THE WORD LIMIT BY 25 WORDS.  I DID NOT GIVE THEM PERMISSION TO EDIT THE LETTER.  OF COURSE, THEY WILL NOT PUBLISH THIS LETTER BECAUSE THATS WHAT THEY ARE ALL ABOUT.  THEY HAVE REJECTED SOME OF MY LETTERS AND ALL OF MY ATTEMPTS AT WRITING OP EDS.  I AM JUST A NOBODY TO THEM.  I AM NOT A PUBLIC FIGURE AND I HAVE NO STANDING AS A PRIVATE CITIZEN WITH STRONGLY OPPOSING VIEWS TO THE STATUS QUO.

A HUMAN IS MADE OF SOFT FLESH AND BONES WITH NO DEFENSE AGAINST A SOLID MASS OF ONCOMING METAL.  ANYONE WANT TO ARGUE THAT POINT? ELEVEN DEATHS SO FAR THIS YEAR.  HOW MANY MORE BEFORE FEBRUARY ENDS.

THE PROBLEM IS PARTICULARLY SERIOUS IN HONOLULU WHERE MANY PEDESTRIANS ARE BOTH OBLIVIOUS AS WELL AS DISINCLINED TO MAKE ANY EYE TO EYE CONTACT WITH ANYONE, LET ALONE ONCOMING DRIVERS.  WHETHER THIS IS CULTURAL OR JUST INGRAINED COMMON PRACTICE, I AM TRULY AMAZED AT THE EFFORT THAT PEDESTRIANS MAKE TO AVOID ANY HUMAN CONTACT WITH ANYONE OR ANYTHING WHILE CROSSING THE STREET.  ALMOST NEVER HAPPENS....AND THAT'S WHY I WAS SO IMPRESSED YESTERDAY PROMPTED ME TO COMPOSE THE ABOVE...........

No comments:

Post a Comment