Friday, February 21, 2014

Fear of Living

Model of Penthouse Condo - courtesy of Internet
We fear death, but we should also fear life.  What if we should live to a hundred or more?  How will we live?  How will we support ourselves? 

Planning for the future and your retirement is a hapless responsibility.  Any assumptions that you might have made in planning for your future maybe thwarted by the unexpected vulgar painstaking realities of the day. 

This is just to serve as one example to illustrate the delusional nature of our thinking and how utterly wrong it can turn out to be.  To be sure, this is one example, but one in particular that may shatter the fabric and foundation of a fundamental tenant harbored by many; that as an aging senior citizen, many of us will consider downsizing from an active single family home to the simplified life afforded in a downtown condominium.  Ah, to give up your car and all of the headaches of driving or at least to rest it to a minimum, to enjoy the safety and comfort of communal living in a secure and protected environment, to access shops and movie theatres only a few feet from your front door, to relieve yourself of the daily burden of worrying about home improvements and home repairs, walking up a million steps to get to your front door, and mowing the lawn.   

Indeed, condominium living is more than a concept that many people have embraced, whether as a primary mode of living or in transition to a simpler life as the wear and tear of decades of upkeep and house maintenance duties wears thin on the patience and fortitude of the homeowner.  And if you live in the suburbs, the constant pressure to time your commuting departures and returns based on traffic flow and rush hour times limits the freedom and comfort of those trying to enjoy the moment, in partial or full retirement.  

I recently investigated the possibility of making a transition from my house in Manoa to a condominium in Ward Village, an emerging complex of condominiums planned and funded by Howard Hughes Corporation which I think has swallowed up Victoria Ward Limited in the process of planning this ambitious 60 acre downtown community.  Two condo projects are set for development out of dozens down the road.  They include Waiea and Anaha.  Astonishingly, only after a few weeks of condo sales, they have about a half of these outrageously expensive condos “sold”, or so they say.

Lets work out the math.  This is an approximate and simplified calculation meant to emphasize the difference in living expenses between single family home living and living in a Ward Village condominium.  It’s made to be simple and does not reflect my present situation if anyone is wondering.

Again, as a theoretical example, lets say my Manoa house is valued at 2 million and that I have been able to pay off all loans and mortgages. Property taxes are 7K based on the 2013 tax rate of 3.50 per $1,000.  My electric bill is $50-100 based on the photovoltaic system I have in place, water is $100/month, cable is $100/month, and miscellaneous (gas, land line, Netflix account, etc) is $100/month.  Taken together, this is about $1000/month of living expenses.   What’s more, I do not expect that these expenses will change drastically over the next 5-10 years.

Next, I sell my home and buy a Ward Village Condominium.  You might ask what is the price range.  And I would answer that while you can get one for under a million, most of those in the range just under a million have already been sold, so we’re talking 1 million and beyond.  More realistically, the 2- 4 million range will get you a two to three bedroom condo with a SF range of 1300 to 2500sf depending upon the building, floor plan and of course price. And the truth is that this is not unique to Ward Village, try looking at Hokua next door to Ward Village and you’ll see approximately the same prices.  And of course, the higher up the building you go, the more you pay a premium for being that much closer to heaven and the picture perfect view of the pacific ocean, and that much further away from the human anthill scurrying around randomly at ground zero. 

Taxes should be the same, but you will have to pay for electricity sans photovoltaic.  A few hundred, maybe 3 or 400/month, lets say 300/month considering that the entire complex is air-conditioned and air conditioning doesn’t come cheap.  I think water and Internet are included in the maintenance and lets take that as a given for the sake of argument.   But maintenance is running about 1k/month per million in value which would mean that I would be paying $2,000/month for maintenance based on a purchase price of 2 million.  Taken together, this would make my monthly expense just under $3000/month…..nearly 3 times my living expenses in my private family dwelling.  What’s more, individual homeowners will have no knowledge or control over how high the maintenance fees will go, and in some cases I have observed that they have doubled in the last 5 years.  So lets take this number to $3,500/month given the guaranty that maintenance feels will continue to climb without warning as the cost of doing business and the machinations of the Howard Hughes corporation chips away at your retirement reserves in eager pursuit of every drop of cash you have left to live on……..as it feeds it voracious appetite for power and wealth.  And what if I traded up to a condo with a price tag that required a mortgage.  I could easily be looking at doubling the monthly expense from 5-6 or even $8,000/month!!!! 

I’m trading my 4,000 sq home for a 1500 sq condo.  I have to sell my Nissan Leaf and replace it with a gas propelled engine car because there is no way to get my car charged at the condo (this is an assumption which maybe incorrect).  I am replacing the quiet and privacy of living in a single-family home for the hustle and bustle of living in a busy downtown community, noise and soot from Ala Moana Boulevard, an increasing slew of homeless people begging on the streets, and the same overpriced shops manned by young Facebook obsessed groupies willing to give you a moment of their time in exchange for an overpriced sale.  I am no longer in the market for any of these shops, cooking at home is preferable to eating at the same restaurants, overpriced as they are, unhealthy and unseemly as they seem. 

Its funny how all of a sudden I feel blessed to be where I am, living more frugally in a large charming single family home than an overpriced slice of air on the 20th floor encased in concrete and surrounded by veneer and plastic.  Go figure…….I never thought it possible for something so obviously wrong to be true.  

Finally, I asked myself who can afford such an inflated monthly expense.  Not the masses.  What income would it take to support such living expenses?  Well there is more to living than paying the condo association.   Oh, I need some funds for food, for travel, to support my kids at Punahou, to save up for college, for a rainy day if I get sick, and oh, yea, and to save up for retirement so I can downsize from this expensive condo to a single family dwelling……

No comments:

Post a Comment