Thursday, December 25, 2014

Every Moment is a Gift: Christmas Eve, 2014


Church service on Christmas Eve - Episcopal Church




Sinus congestion aggravating a European acquired yucky bronchitis filled my head and lungs with virulent sludge, coloring my mood on this Christmas eve, 2014.  Here in San Francisco with daughter and family, with some university work related burden looming in the background, I am relatively free to rest and enjoy the day with my three granddaughters who are now at the age that is truly fun.  Things are happy overall and I have nothing that I long for, at least for the moment, that is not mine for the asking.   

Yet, I am stricken with shards of melancholy, not for myself, but in spite of myself.  Perhaps it’s my 68 years of life or my relative isolation from the real world of the living and oppressed, overindulged by luxury, living in a big house, eating out any time and any place, going anywhere anytime, living minutes from town not having to fend off traffic like the rest of humanity, and feeling safe and protected.  Yet things are not well in the world, and for some reason, this makes me sad on this Christmas eve.

I feel sad for the Syrians, having displaced half of their country’s population into refugee camps in neighboring countries, cities leveled to rubble and thousands shot or poisoned as the toll of war.  And we don’t even know who is the real enemy.

I feel frightened with the reality of ISIS, its cruelty and disregard for human existence.  I feel sad for what has happened to Iraq and Afghanistan at the hands of their own leaders and other foreign powers including the US.

I feel frightened by the impulsiveness of North Korea and the possibility that a satirical movie could be the catalyst for World War 3.

I feel frightened by the unpredictability and fickleness of the weather, cold when it should be warm, warm when it should be cold, from no rain to deluge, snowing relentlessly in parts unlikely to experience such excesses, and not snowing in ski resorts that should produce big dumps.  Happy I live in Hawaii!

I feel defeated by those who think guns don’t kill people, by teenagers (which I define as 13 to 33y/o) who fanaticize their life a revenge flick, plotting months in advance to kill their fellow students (or co-workers) at their schools (place of employment) and then doing so with guns readily available to them.

I am tired of lying and self-serving politicians, of irresponsible leaders of our country who continue to spend more than we make driving us on a collision path to bankruptcy.

I am tired of those who defend people based solely on their color rather than their deeds.

I am disgusted by how much stuff is made in China, and disappointed that not more is made in the US.

I’m shocked at how much everything cost and whether living a long life means taking a voyage to poverty.

I am saddened by those who have all that I have in life but choose to waste their existence ruminating over the minutia of their lives, and the lives of others around them.

I’m amazed that, no matter how intelligent or talented people are, they choose to risk it by some dangerous and aberrant behavior.

And yet I’m inspired by the concept of “changing set points”, where those humans most able to cope with a changing world as well as changes in their world is to adapt to those changes.


Happiness and contentment are not a given.  One has to work for them.  One has to be lucky in life to have a safe home.  One has to be magnanimous in life to be loved. One has to be introspective in life to ignore and avoid that which cannot be changed rather than to ingest it whole. One has to have the self-awareness of life’s fleeting moment to focus on beauty and dignity, to shun darkness and the devil, and to treat every moment as a gift.   

At 93, treating every moment as a gift!



No comments:

Post a Comment