Friday, February 19, 2016

Cape Town – Chapter 1

The Tom Bradley International Terminal  - B- at LAX was very refreshing considering the run down, congested, and musty collection of terminals servicing the domestic market.  Of course, when you fly business class to international destinations, you get a treat, at least most of the time.  I wasn’t looking to flying KLM, its reputation is not the best, although the 747 that is taking me to Amsterdam to catch my flight to Cape Town was retooled and quite nice by any standard. 

Before getting there I was granted a stay in the Korean Airport lounge…..  go figure, I booked my flight through Delta, they put me on KLM, and sent me to Korean Airlines lounge.  The lounge looked like a sci fi movie set.  Tall reflective ceilings, modern furniture, quiet with wonderful acoustics, TV’s that were on but sans audio, and reasonable food to keep you going between flights.  In addition to the usual, I tried the cup of instant noodles; just add some hot water and wait 3 minutes.  They were quite good.  A little this and a little that and I was happy as a drunken sailor. 

Now I’m on the flight and we’re moving out of the gate, exactly on time!!! Very happy in seat 1A, sitting alone, and without a neighbor – no seat 1B - with a lie flat seat that is very comfortable.  I’ve already checked out which movies I will watch and made contact with the cute lady sitting across the aisle.

I’m particularly nervous on this flight as though it is the first flight of my life. Maybe its because I’m travelling ½ way around the world, or because the destination is somewhere I have wanted to go for many years. My heart rate and blood pressure is definitely higher than usual.  I’m increasingly excited with this trip as we bump down the runway at the rate of my heart.  Time to shut the computer down and figure out what to do next before my first nap.

Fast forward 10 hours or so:  flying toward land crossing the Atlantic was surreal as we floated down to Amsterdam International Airport.  It was the break of day in winter and there was a thick blanket of fog obscuring the ground beneath.  Everything looked gray with a hint of deep green.  The land was flat and marshy with canals and man made perfectly crafted waterways.  Small communities were strewn haphazardly among the large swaths of farmland.  It was dreary to say the least; it looked like a bad painting, or worse, the aftermath of a war zone with not a living creature in sight. I was so mesmerized with the terrain; I didn’t even try to take pictures……

hard to think of any positive influence we have had in the world

half finished airport looks worse than Costco
The Amsterdam Airport was filled with really tall Dutch, slim, casually dressed, and some still living in the 60’s with long hair.  It felt like the first time I arrived in Holland a half a century ago.  And to cement this feeling, I took a picture of the McDonalds that was prominently displayed on the upper level. Not a very interesting airport, shabby, unfinished, overcrowded with shops and a very diverse smattering of people from all parts of the world intersecting for a moment in time as they pass each other getting to their gates, lounges, shops, restaurants, restrooms, and of course, lets not forget Starbucks. Signed up for a shower but not enough time to get the job done before my flight leaves in one hour. Will have to incubate in my own sweat for another half day!

Fast forward 13 hours or so: Well I made it to Cape Town.  Flight fine and had lots of sleep, stayed off of the wine until the last meal when I had half a glass – good boy, David.  The food was OK, but not haute cuisine.  Flight attendants were very blond Dutch girls and also very kind and helpful. Watched too many movies but had a solid volley of naps all coming when the spirit moved me.  Kept hydrated to protect against the next gout attack.  

In the Gilmour Hill B&B. Very nice and Maureen, the owner, has been over the top helpful.  Settling in for a few hours of sleep after flying half way around the world in the last two days while passing 12 time zones.  Exhilarated to finally get to Cape Town and have everything go as scheduled.

Funny, some countries like South Africa are so easy to enter.  Immigration was a snap and did not require any form. The luggage was quick enough although I admit I was a little worried for more than a moment until my ugly worn down case peered through the curtain on the conveyer belt.  It was truly quicker to go from airplane to exit in SA than a US flight landing in Honolulu. 


I will be very busy for the next two days.  Hopefully I will have time to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment