Thursday, March 24, 2016

Big White 2016 - Prelude

A beautiful Snow Ghost seen just off of the T-bar high up the mountain at Big White. Does it look like a dragon or some prehistoric mammal?  

It’s been a while since my fingers have been itching to write but they are also itching from the dry heating elements keeping our Big White condo warm.  South Africa seems a distant blur. I failed to write anything about the rest of my South African trip including the Silversea cruise that struggled up the east coast of South Africa to Mozambique and back.  Then again, I try to avoid as much as possible negative reviews or those that are not worthy of reporting. At least I made the cruise director happy with my performance as gentleman host!

And it’s another gloomy day in the world where the Islamic terrorists have again taken center stage, this time in Brussels. And the news media continue to pay homage to the terrorist by drowning the world with continuous news coverage of the event with first hand accounts of personal loss, enjoying another surge in their ratings, while lavishing the terrorists with boundless publicity and notoriety without the asking. All of this happening when our president and wife are acquiescing to another ruthless dictator, this time in Cuba, and then traveling to Argentina to dance the tango.  What a sad state of world affairs.  At least we get a break from listening to our presidential candidates – tweedledee, tweedledum and tweedledumber– lambast each other in an unforgivable calculated display of arrogant pontification and self-righteous indignation.


OK, now that I have blown that off my chest, I can savor the wonderful week I am now enjoying skiing at Big White, located one hour from Kelowna, Canada.  Indeed the blanket of pristine fresh snow that envelops this resort conjures up many metaphors: the forgiveness of sins, a new beginning, and the vastness and the sameness of the world we live in.  So I will extinguish the mixed emotions of the day and the sense of impending world doom, and retreat into my much preferred imaginary inner world that I can bare to live in, the one that brings me joy and fulfillment.  Next chapter will be coming soon with more pictures and maybe a few reflections.

No comments:

Post a Comment