Sunday, January 13, 2019

NYC - New Year’s Holiday 2018







During the month of December, Delta flies direct from Honolulu to New York on a 767.  Decent business class seats – although a little cramped this time despite the seats being lie flat.  Cashed in a two for one delta one Delta Reserve card bonus, well worth the price of the fare to New York for two people.

First the downers….my Hilton garden hotel  - bad to real bad, breakfast at the hotel – the worst food at any BF buffet I have ever encountered – good for my diet, one Greek restaurant – crowded and overrated, the rain on New Year’s eve - relentless, and the hordes of people squeezing the life out of you on the crowded streets in Times Square – really good people trying to find their way through the masses of human flesh not meaning any harm or discomfort, and the unbelievable number of roads closed for cars and PEOPLE on the day before the 1st of the year – crazy number along with the 8,000 police on duty on NYE ready for any potential disaster….. Huge number of people smoking cigarettes, and even more smoking marijuana, the stench permeating almost every street corner in NYC.  Hot dog for $5 – the street vendor was going to kill me after I told him he was ripping us off. 

Second the unexpected moderate uppers…….the police (except for one wahine who would not even consider my plea, all the rest were wonderful!!!), the one dollar pizza – 2 pieces cheese pie with soft drink for $2.75 – so yummy.  Seeing my relatives both in NYC and on Long Island, two Broadway plays – Waitress, Anastasia, walking 6-8 miles of day to compensate for the excesses in food and drink, Macy’s in NYC…..the progenitor of the Macy’s chain – so big you can get lost in it, filled to the brim with shoppers, holiday displays and overall good bargains, - hey Alexa, tell Bezos, that Amazon dude, hey you don’t have all of the business.  I won’t mention the name of places I didn’t love, but Rosie O’Grady’s bar was a welcome and unexpected treat.  Downstairs in the bar, great wine I couldn’t stop drinking, an amazing onion soup and friendly and uncrowded. 

The police in NYC 
Special mention regarding the 8,000 police at Times Square during New Years eve and the days before and after.  Very friendly lot, easy to talk to, helpful, understanding, flexible, human, approachable, and comforting.  I’ve always connected with the NYC police over my 72 years of life given the erratic and infrequent times that I have been in NYC.  Really, nowhere else on the planet are police as approachable and helpful as they are in NYC.  They are the best!  And I’ve been almost everywhere in the world, every state in the US, most of Europe, Asia, South America and a third of Africa……. 

At one point, we needed to cross Broadway to get from one side to the other to get to our New Year’s eve Dinner / Dance event at the Edison Ballroom.  The road was closed and they wanted us to walk another mile in the rain to go around the barricades to get to the other side of the street.  I pleaded with the one of the officers and he LISTENED!  I told him the cab let us off here and I am 72 year old and all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth and please let us cross because we are old and we need to get across the street so we can dance the night away at the Edison hotel.  Please make an exception – and HE Did….he walked us across with another couple who was on their own mission. That was not the only time they went off rule to let us pass – there were many other examples, plus chatting with them on the street, they would answer questions and engage in conversation, were funny and professional.  What more can I say?

The NYC police – they are the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The extraordinary part of the trip.

The Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall.  Truly the best overall Christmas show I have ever seen in my 172 years of life.  Wonderful, worth the one hour of waiting to get in and get seated, worth the far up and to the side mezzanine seats that we booked not wanting to break the bank – we were told there were no bad seats in the Music Hall and I agree.  The show was part technology, overflowing to the entire hall, not just the stage, camels, actors and dancers aside from the amazing Rockettes.  The coordination of movement, flexibility, musicality, presence, and changing costumes of the girls including dressing as Santa, was truly spectacular, flowing, refreshing, inspiring, uplifting, and truly entertaining.  If I could only be reborn, my goal would be to come back as a girl and spend my early life practicing to be a Rockette.  Oh well, that dream won’t come true but I’m left with one truly memorable 90-minute performance, one that I will want to see yet a third time.  The first time was half a century ago, before I could appreciate any of the talent and imagination that goes into a such as show, I was closer to the stage and all I can remember of the first time is a long line of pretty girls, legs go up, legs go down, to the side, to the other side, legs go up, go down, this side, that side, legs go up, legs go down………  I can die now that I have been to the Radio City Music Hall twice in my life.  God, grant me yet another time to see them is my plea for 2019.

The Edison Ballroom New Year’s Eve Dinner Dance Party 2019.  Gone are the days when you could go to the Rainbow Room and enjoy the endless ballroom music of alternating bands every twenty minutes – from Big Band to Cuban band in a beautiful room bordered by magnificent chandeliers, 50 foot drapes, several levels of dining tables, a revolving dance floor and an eclectic group of guests from all over New York and the world enjoying the most spectacular of dinner/dance venues in the world. But alas, somehow the Edison Ballroom, through the genius of Bill Kaelblein, has recreated this atmosphere in the Edison Ballroom on 47th near Broadway proximate to all of the action of the New Year’s Eve ball dropping party just a few meters away.  The Edison Hotel lobby looked interesting and inviting but the prices during New Year’s week were prohibitive.  The ballroom itself was smaller than it looks on line but large enough to hold a few hundred people …I think just over 300.  Bill expressly told me he would limit the number of guests so as to not overcrowd the room, the dance floor and the common areas.  I must admit he achieved this goal nicely.  Interestingly, there are two floors at the Edison Ballroom; the folks on the second floor – more like a balcony - paid $100 less per person but I feel they also were not as interested in dancing like those paying more to be closer to the action…..although there was this one couple in the corner above that was having their own dance party….good for you!

We got there early and we were let in early….maybe 7:40 pm, 20 minutes before scheduled start time.  A great table second tier from the dance floor which we liked very much –  we were  close but not crowded by the ever enlarging dancers encroaching on the dinner tables on the dancefloor perimeter.  The wine was divine.  A four-course meal that was fine – cuisine is not the goal of such events but the food was decent – no complaints.  The steak was tender and the salmon was cooked to my liking, condiments tasty, salad and desert good but memorable, but the wine kept coming. 

Both Latin and Big Bands were outstanding, the music danceable and the variety included almost every dance that is on the books (I asked for a waltz at one point and it was not played until after my night was over and my dance shoes replaced by my walking boots).  Salsa, rumba, cha cha, merengue, night club two step, fox trot, samba, swing, bolero……we danced and we danced and we danced.  The food came and we took a break and then we danced and we danced and we danced.  Couples kissing on the dance floor, mostly mature couples, a hand full of experienced dancers and the rest just pulling and pushing on the dance floor, a few teachers a few dance students, a few from the younger crowd, a few getting a little tipsy with time and not watching where they were or who they were dancing into, a great assortment of people from all over New York and elsewhere.  We met a couple from Florida that comes every year for this event and Bill K talks about the number of repeat guests that he gets in this, the 10th year of the event.

The ballroom floor was a bit worn and weathered but it worked fine.  Maybe a new dance floor would spruce up the ballroom but it did not hinder my dancing in any way.  Bathrooms spacious and clean, the ballroom was decorated but not overly so, party favors were given near midnight, an excellent singer graced the music of the Big Band although I’m embarrassed to admit I didn’t like her dress. The leader of the Big Band, Joe Battaglia, came over to all of the tables and wished everyone a good time and a happy new year.  He was an old but gracious man who can still really blow on that trumpet without any problem.  He did almost fall on stage but fortunately he didn’t. 

In Sum:  NYE was a night to remember, and the holiday week in NYC was a delightful departure from the mundane, expensive, sterile, and predictable Hawaiian choices.  NYC is never an easy place to be and I have known this since I was a youth trying to find my way in THE CITY as it was affectionately referred to by the locals.  Then I could only wonder why NYC was such a well-regarded city worldwide.  It was dirty and expensive and aggressive and at that time in the 60’s, crime ridden.  Moreover, the doors were never open for me as a teenager.  But it takes money and plenty of it to go to NYC and enjoy what it has to offer.  And thus, it’s taken me 60 years to really appreciate the city I grew up in.   Would I return in a year or two for another NYE holiday in NYC?  I’ll have to think about that one……

No comments:

Post a Comment