Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Retire or NOT Retire? Not a Simple Question?


RETIREMENT IS AN ENTITLEMENT:  Nobody grows up with the notion that they will work till their dying day.  Indeed, the concept of retirement seems embedded into the fabric of American life as much as marriage, family, two cars, a house, a successful career, and more…..

DOCTOR OF RETIREMENT STUDIES: The truth is that the decision to retire is not as easy as it seems, except of course for those who never worked seriously in their lives.  I have been retired for six years.  Considering this duration, in education years, I am an expert in retirement.  To be sure, this is a reasonable length of time for a serious matriculated student to obtain a PhD in most any field of study. Call me David Easa, MD, PhD - doctor of Medicine and doctor of Retirement Studies.

RETIREMENT FOR MIDDLE AMERICANS IS A MYTH: The truth is that Middle Americans, who dream of retirement as the natural outcome and reward for dedicating most of their lives providing for themselves and their families, would enjoy and benefit the most from retirement.  The sad truth is that a good proportion of them (> 1/3rd) can no longer afford to retire at 65 y/o - with the reality of the present faltering economy, their zero balance savings accounts, an insidiously creeping credit card debt, and the increasing cost of living.  Many Middle Americans must somehow survive on their social security benefits that average $1200/ month to support themselves and families in retirement.  Moreover, many feel that they are one medical or surgical hospitalization away from bankruptcy. In 2010, 16% of the American workforce was composed of citizens > 65 y/o as compared to 14% 20 years earlier. The concept of retirement for Middle Americans is being replaced by the realization that what they dreamed in their youth about the progression of their life’s story is a myth.


WHAT ABOUT THOSE AMERICANS WHO HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO RETIRE?  To be sure, not everyone with a successful career needs to retire.  There are those who genuinely enjoy their work.  They feel no compunction to change their lives as it approaches the final chapters.  I must admit that I initially felt sorry for those individuals.  I felt they suffered from tunnel vision and lacked perspective.  I have since changed my view.  There are those who deeply and sincerely continue to work because they love their lives in the present as it reflects the blueprint of their past. They see their future as a natural continuum.  The security and sanctity that it gives them is not to be criticized or trivialized.  It is indeed their personal resolution and I applaud their positive, decisive affirmation.

CLUELESS IN RETIREMENT: But what if you are successful in what you do, take great pride in your accomplishments, are acknowledged by others in the field, and have stowed enough away to live comfortably in retirement except for one small detail?  - 

YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH YOURSELF.  This rather crazy notion is not so crazy when you get these individuals to honestly fess up to - the perils of suddenly having a windfall of free time to contend with.  In my experience, the more successful your career is, the more entrenched you are in your work, the more likely you will be clueless when it comes to retirement decisions.  According, many will pitifully spend their last living day at work because it is the only way of life that they know.

ME: I loved my work – all of it! College, Medical School, Residency and Fellowship; I ended my education as a Board Certified Neonatologist.  My first and only job was at University of Hawaii.  From Director of Neonatology at Kapiolani Medical Center to gaining a powerful voice in the care given to the 16k+ newborn infants born in Hawaii, from Assistant to Full Professor to Professor Emeritus, from research director to pseudo Associate Dean for Research at the Medical School, a few years working in the Chancellor’s Office, leadership role in numerous large grant programs funded by the National Institutes of Health, and now (after retirement) in a part-time role assisting new faculty manage their clinical lives and research goals, as well several other minor roles funded by federal grants. 

I WAS GOOD AT WHAT I DID:  In the end, natural abilities and skills are easier to cultivate.  I attribute most of my success to my personal attributes, character and honest hard work.  I was a really good doctor with good clinical judgment. I felt at ease in doing a variety of medical and surgical procedures even at the most critical time when seconds determined the fate of the child in question.  I found talking to and interacting with families easy and gratifying, even when the news was bad or worse. I was a natural leader of peers.  I gravitated toward leadership positions in the Department of Pediatrics, the Medical School, the broader University of Hawaii, and the national research arena.  I did not regret a minute of that slice of my life, which was privileged, caring for other humans that were hatched from the womb in need of my skills and expertise, and caring for those in my family whose blood I shared. 

WHAT I WAS NOT:  But during the three decades of my most intense work, other than a little tennis, running and weight training, I explored very little outside interests.  I never read novels, defaulting to medical journals and texts.  I couldn't dance or sing, I ventured very little outside of my daily routine. I did not smile.  What I emphatically realized was that what made me a good doctor, father and husband, was also responsible for what I lacked in my life.  The choice of continuing my life in the solid and secure world that I had created versus venturing out to the world of the unknown became the crucial question for my retirement day.

BE BRAVE! In the end, I was brave enough to venture out of my shell.  To worlds and activities that were unknown to me…..where my doctor status had no value…where my skills in medicine would provide me no advantage. 

WHAT I WANTED IN RETIREMENT: I wanted to cultivate parts of my brain that heretofore were virgin.  I wanted to balance the physical with the intellectual. I wanted to learn to be a student again.  I wanted to replace the cacophony of the intensive care unit with the sweet melody of Frank Sinatra.  I wanted to replace the awkward brisk urgency of the work life that I had created with flowing dance movements. I wanted to replace watching movies with reading books for pleasure.  I wanted to take a nap after lunch when I got groggy.  I wanted to travel to places unknown and unfamiliar. I wanted the freedom to think, to dream, to prepare a healthy salad and write my blog. I wanted to see the cup as both half empty and half full instead of always half empty.  I wanted to feel alive, to reanimate, rather than remain comatose in the unconscious word of the familiar. I wanted learn to smile.

RETIREMENT AN OXYMORON:  I have put as much effort and thought into retirement as I have done for my career.  As such, the term “retirement” is an oxymoron.  For me, retirement is a new career that I have embraced, just as dynamic, meaningful and rewarding as first.

SIX YEARS LATER: I have achieved most of my “retirement” goals.  I have been empowered by the first chapters of my life to accept realistic goals for - this most exciting and liberating present stage.  I have found that some work, for me, is preferable to complete and categorical “retirement”.  I have learned to limit my work time at 50%.   The mornings are for work, the afternoon and later are for play…simple formula.  I am not the best dancer; I am not the best reader. 

And I have learned to enjoy a wonderful lovebird perched on my head! I am as happy as I have been in my life, and I have leaned once and for all how to smile.  

No comments:

Post a Comment