Tuesday, September 6, 2016

La Siesta Hotel, Old Quarter, Hanoi – The Best Hotel Experience of my life!!!

Supervisor Tiffany - middle and her staff

a king fit for a King

Hey, lets party!


Closing in on 70, I have stayed at enough hotels to differentiate between a good hotel and a mediocre one, between one with good customer service that is mechanical, robotic and staged and one with genuine, sincere concern over hotel guests, attention to detail and friendly service with a smile. Having stayed at one in Hoi An with the former brand, it draws even more of a contrast to my recent experience in Hanoi at the La Siesta Hotel in the Old Quarter. 

I can simply say that this was genuinely the most positive experience that I have ever had anywhere in a hotel in my life.  Unfortunately, it was only for one night, but I’ve already booked and paid for my return trip which will be for two nights next April. That will make it my third stay at the same hotel in the last two years.

From the moment we entered the hotel, we felt calm and cared for by the hotel staff.  The cozy layout of the lobby accounted for some of this but the staff was there to settle us in, process our luggage and reservation, serve us a delicious drink and a fruit cup and orient us to the hotel which was unnecessary as they discovered this was my second stay.  Then the offered us a discount for the following day lunch of 20%.  Realizing that we would be leaving the next morning, I asked and was granted this discount to be applied to dinner.  Now I realize that this rather obnoxious request on my part was a bit greedy and could see that this was not something that the lobby manager wanted to grant.  Taking this to her supervisor, they extended us a 10% discount. 

After finding out that I was a repeat guest, they immediately upgraded our rooms.  I remember the room I stayed in on my first visit was very nice but medium in size. Nothing to complain about but nothing to rave about.  But the upgraded rooms were suites and they were MAGNIFICENT, truly.  My friend and I just looked at each other and wished we were staying a few more nights in Hanoi to enjoy these rooms.

Visiting my friend’s suite after settling in, we both detected the noxious odor of cigarette smoke coming from the room next door. SMOKING IS NOT ALLOWED at the La Siesta but this was a room filled with four young men – need I say more?  My friend didn’t want to stay in her lovely suite because of the smell and she requested another room in its place.  Instead of assigning her to a regular room, which she expected, the hotel front desk staff gave her another suite, this time even more magnificent than the last.  It even had a really huge balcony and two bedrooms with three beds. She could have had a medium size party with guests flowing to and from the lovely balcony, sipping wine and even had plenty of room for a sleepover…haha…  But that suite was truly magnificent.

Later at drinks in the bar and dinner in the cozy restaurant, we were showered with attention and kindness.  Not just from one of the staff but from them ALL.  I cannot imagine such a consistent show of kindness and attention.  Everyone wanted to know our names, where we came from and we had various side bar discussions that resembled conversations among friends. 

During the dinner, the front desk supervisor came over and informed us that our 10% restaurant discount had increased to 20%.  The fact that this was still on their radar screen after the fact was simply amazing.  The fact that they were so wanting to make our stay comfortable and appreciative of this being my second stay at the hotel was very telling.

It’s hard to put into words all that went on between us and the staff.  I can simply say that taken together, La Siesta hotel, situated in the heart of the Old Quarter in Hanoi was truly the most enjoyable experience that I have ever had. 

It is important to mention that this is a four-star hotel that is not expensive.  Everything was reasonable including the bar, the restaurant and the room rate. Very, very reasonable rates!!!  But the service and attention could not have been better at any 5 or 5+ star hotel.

Everyone visiting Hanoi should consider staying at La Siesta.  I’m certain you will thank me for this reference.


Special mention to the following hotel attendants who were wonderful beyond words:  Tiffany, Ha, Tina, Luna, Alice, Giang, Long, and Peter.

No comments:

Post a Comment