Fifty years later, I received notice on July 22nd, 2026 that a 1 ½ page commentary on The Qualities of a Good Clinical Teacher was accepted for publication in the Hawaii Journal of Health & Social Welfare. Looking back, while my publications were heavily concentrated during the active middle years in the Department of Pediatrics at the John A Burns School of Medicine, University of Hawaii at Manoa (UHM), having them framed by two publications 50 years apart brought a certain unexpected joy in my life, and a goal that I heretofore never considered aspiring to in years past.
The later article was inspired by a pediatric faculty member I was helping with her application for a prestigious teaching award at UHM. An exceptional physician and an exceptional human, it was both a pleasure working with her and also fittingly gratifying since she was the only faculty member from JABSOM to win the award. I felt a need to document both my appreciation for her accomplishments as well as to document my expanded view of the qualities of a good clinical teacher that I derived from this experience.
The reason for such joy of accomplishment rests less on the quality of the publications, than the fact that they were written 50 years apart. My publications never reached Tier 1 level. My observations and publications were always a little later than those on the forefront. The ones that endured were multi-author publications sponsored by either the NIH or a Big Pharma. The few novel ideas that I had still have not been translated into any useful treatment strategy to help ailing neonates recover from their prematurity and immaturity. Still the thought and effort that went into my research made me a much better doctor, and I enjoyed the experience immensely. And my brain got its exercise for those 50 years instead of dwindling from chronic disuse.
It is axiomatic that keeping mentally active throughout life takes time and effort. Simply retiring on one’s laurels and doing nothing for the body and mind would most certainly serve as a one-way ticket to oblivion. I’ve always enjoyed writing, and my medical school faculty days were filled with writing assignments, papers, grants, letters of recommendation (prior to AI), creative writing, etc. Nevertheless, while the volume of my writing has skidded down to a trickle in retirement, I am increasingly motivated to rebound from this post retirement lethargy to reflect on the past, maintain the spirit of the moment, focus on both physical and mental health, and attempt to define some meaning in my post retirement days beyond what I have already done. I’m thinking more about the past, what I accomplished and what I failed to accomplish, the decisions that led me in one direction and that kept me from pursuing other directions. And now I’m thinking of academic papers that I have put off for the last few years. Wish me luck! And yes, the writing in the image above is in ancient Arabic.
No comments:
Post a Comment