Monday, October 8, 2012

Ballroom Dancing as a Senior Citizen


But its not easy to improve at my age because time does not stand still, and the pushing and prodding of the body to conform to new steps, better form, posture and frame, control and balance, straight legs - Latin, soft knees - Ballroom, strong ankles, navigation and musicality is resisted at every moment by the free falling failing logarithmically advancing macro and micro deterioration of the body brought about by the aging process.  In molecular terms this “apoptosis”  or programmed cell death is ultimately written into our genes and is immutable.  


While children like Bella B can go from great to greater in the shortest period of time, every excruciating moment of time attempting to improve in ballroom dancing as a senior citizen comes with uncertainty and at a big price, both literally and figuratively. I’m just anxiously awaiting but not really looking forward the day that my body wins and my dancing ability plummets like our current economy.  I only wish that when that happens, I am too senile to appreciate it.  Like several grand seniors that I see hobbling onto the dance floor during mainland competitions, they seem very happy just to be there, propped up by their young and beautiful dance teachers dragging them through their routines, whilst gazing at their teachers with amazement and gratitude, like a bright eyed puppy staring happily and with trust at their owners.

1 comment:

  1. That’s actually my worry for my granny who does ballroom dancing. I know she’s not as keen to the movements due to her age and physical limitations. But the thought that it keeps her active and socially connected calms my nerves. ;]

    -->Henry Gay

    ReplyDelete