Sunday, April 14, 2013

I Deleted My Facebook Account: Hooray!

Hooray, I just deleted my Facebook account!  I began it for only one reason - in preparation for my 46th post high school year reunion....so my classmates could read about the me that I wanted them to see before the big night.  Not sure why I continued it for so long after the reunion.  Maybe curiosity, maybe to create an image of someone I wanted to be to delude my "friends".  Or maybe it was to create an ideal image of myself that I aspired to, but could never realistically achieve.  Or maybe it was a place to organize some pictures of myself, my family, my "friends" and anything else that looked cute or interesting surrounding my life.

Who are these "friends"?  Are they friends or just curious voyeurs?  LIKE.....why does everyone seek validation of their posts from their "friends" whose added value is to jump the number counter another notch? Does anyone really give a shit about the quotations, the pictures, the inspiring or depressing comments that are made almost nonstop by these "friends"?  Are we truly addicted to social media to the extent that we  have adopted these moronic behaviors so passively, but without true conviction?   Are we that bored with our lives that we spend endless hours feeding these websites with endless banter to the exclusion of everything and everyone else?  Has reality for some become their Facebook persona?  Have we lost the ability to look in the mirror with the light brightly shining and see ourselves?  

Social media may be life saving for some but is dangerous and risky.  Just finished reading about two teenage girls who committed suicide after being raped by several boys that were classmates, who subsequently nailed their coffins by exposing videos and pictures of the rapes through text messages and on the internet.  How can you heal from something you have to re-live over and over again as it is cemented permanently in someone's iphone and/or cyberspace for the world to see?  

Yes, we have gone too far.  My Facebook account is deleted and I am going to celebrate.  I will never have any more friends to read about or be able to accept an invitation to have new friends.   And I will never feel any compulsion to LIKE anything anyone of these "friends" says or posts. What is wrong with me?

Now that I have buried Facebook in my life, my next goal will be to delete and destroy my Stepping Lightly Blog.  I'll have to think about how to accomplish this next goal because I think it will be considerably more difficult. In the meantime, I will continue to feed the site with the usual smattering of inane and verbose dialogue that somehow has attracted some curious onlookers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment